Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rescue barrel for laundry bin


“€60!! For a laundry bin?? Are you mad??!!” That was my husbands reaction when I first mentioned the idea of allocating such a chunk of our nursery renovation budget on a solution for dirty baby clothes. I had found this barrel in an online design shop. It was love at first sight and I  really wanted to have it for the nursery. However it was pricey, way too big and not practical in many ways. But I was desperate to make it work in the room. Only when I received it in the post I really realized how big a barrel is in real life..not so professional I know, but often times when it comes to my own house all logic goes out the window and pure excitement takes over. :)

The barrel, despite its size, happily fits into my super mini nursery and I think it looks damn cool. Also the size is doing me a favor as one small baby produces easily a barrel full of laundry on a weekly basis. But what I love the most about it is that I get to use it every day. 



Every day items are so so very important and you need them to be lovable. Laundry bins are rarely considered to be an important piece when furnishing a room yet you touch them and see them every single day so why not please yourself with something that will wow you on the daily basis. Also if you make it into a bold statement you can have it in focus instead of trying to find a corner for it. In reality people don’t often change their laundry bins (every 5-10 yrs or not even I guess), so you are talking long term investment. With all that in mind I think the price I paid is super reasonable. In our case this barrel will be around for many many years to come for sure and again I see it working in different parts of the house if I need it to.



If we are ever lucky enough to have a big house in the country I will design an awesome laundry room which will make you just want hang out, but until than I have my barrel and it makes me happy every day.

On the practical side I have one of those IKEA net laundry bins inside it, which make it super easy to lift the whole load out and bring it downstairs. I would like to say it was clever planning but no, it was my pure luck and a good eye estimation as I had no measurements with me when I bought the IKEA one. :)



Sourcing:

Rescued barrel:
The shop is Irish, the stock is super cool and top quality. Sign up to the newsletter to catch the sales!

Net laundry bin:
And link to the bin is here: (I finally figured how to actually link in a website ;)


Ps: Next time I come across a barrel in a salvage yard or a garden center sale I think I will give it a go and try to jazz it up myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment