Sunday, January 13, 2013

Coffee Shop Style Porridge Oat Breakfast Bar




I can not eat another bowl of cereal or another slice of toast! There has to be more to breakfast than a few cold slices of toast or soggy cereal. I’m setting myself a breakfast challenge! Now more than ever I need a good enjoyable meal to start my day off and I’m constantly looking for ideas.

This is one of my life saver recipes. I bake a batch every week and it lasts for a good few days between myself and my husband. Perfect for on the go and also handy to eat with one hand while the other is feeding a baby. Possibly a great option for lunch bags too, however I have no experience in that field yet. ;)

Ingredients:

100g plain flour
100g wholemeal flour
120g jumbo porridge
120g brown cane sugar
Half a tbsp baking powder
160g butter at room temperature diced
2 tbsp honey

Filling:

250-300g of a suitable fruit. Fresh berries or apples work but I really like to use the frozen berry mixture that you can pick up at Lidl.

Method:
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, porridge, sugar and baking soda. This takes 1,5 minutes. Combine in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. This is the long part takes about 4-5 minutes. Scoop out a handful of the mixture and put aside. Get an ungreased baking tin (20x20 or so) and pour in the mixture. With your fist, press it to the bottom nice and tight. This will be the base of your breakfast bar. Spread the fruit on top straight from the freezer. Feel free to add more or less according to your taste. Drizzle over the honey. Sprinkle with the reserved flour/oat mixture to cover the fruit.

Bake at 180 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden. Cool in the pan and cut into bars. Move into a container with lid and keep in the fridge. (I usually cut it into 12 bars). Keeps well for 3-4 days. 

If you decide to give this a go feel free to leave a comment below and let me know how you got on.

Ready, Set, Bake!

2 comments:

  1. These were yummy, but very crumbly! Any suggestions for getting them to stick together a bit more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi There, I'm so delighted that you gave it a go. I had the same issue.. more butter and firmer pressing helps, also must wait until it cools completely before slicing. Then store in the fridge. :)

      Delete