Tuesday, January 08, 2013

The Magic World Of Oranges And Bread


Food shopping! It has been a challenge for me since he was born. When he was very little, a few weeks old or so, I was just generally very nervous to go anywhere with him especially if I had to divide my attention between him and something else. Then I discovered the wonderful word of baby wearing and for a few months we did the shopping while he was tied on me in his baby carrier. But by now he is nearly 9kg, I can’t wear him to the front as he is too heavy and he doesn’t really like staying on my back so I was stuck again. For the last while I did the shopping without him but now he is sitting up pretty well so I thought I’ll give it a go and try the shopping trolley seat.

Off we went in the car, no baby carrier and no buggy. I only needed a few bits for tonight so I figured that even if he hates the trolley seat I’ll be able to carry him on my hips while pushing the trolley and grab the items I needed with one hand.

He was a little skeptical when I lifted him into the seat so I gave him a big smile, put my hand on top of his and we started rolling very very very slowly. By the time we got to the bread selection he was absolutely loving the experience and so was I. He is super alert now all the time and such great company I feel like we aren’t just mother and son but also friends who are hanging out together.

I was going to fly through the shop in a hurry but instead it turned into a great big bright eyed adventure. We rolled in slow motion and I let him look, touch, smell and observe.

Raising Riรกn has opened my eyes to so many of the little every day things that I had stopped taking notice of anymore, like the smell of freshly baked bread or beautiful bright colour of the oranges.

I’m so proud of my son, I was nearly in tears in the stupid supermarket watching him being fascinated by oranges or making the funniest face when I let him touch the frozen bag of peas.  The supermarket is a magical place for him. I’m hoping to always find the time no matter how busy our day is to slow down and let these little amazing moments happen to us.


1 comment:

  1. "mere colour can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways!" Oscar Wilde...... I totally agree with getting in tune with our senses, by taking time out in a precious day!!
    Time to be slow, time to dream, time to read. Defend time fiercely and value it! The brain needs time to come up with new ideas!! ( struggling to apply this at the moment, but working on it!, think little ones teach us to appreciate time!.....)

    ReplyDelete