Sunday, February 10, 2013

Fancy French Riz au lait


Ahhh the French....with their baguettes in the wicker baskets, their wine and their food it’s all just sooo good and delicious and even the most simple thing like RICE PUDDING sounds like the name of a fairy tale princess…Princess Riz au lait..

Now seriously, I love French food. After initially being quite skeptical with the whole “cuisine” and “gourmet” madness, I have grown a huge respect for French food and how attention is given to the smallest detail when cooking it.

However when my French friend, as part of the extending Food Swap Shop (read more about it here), offered some Riz au Lait, I thought we could really just call it ‘rice pud’ and stop being fancy. :)

But this is not your average rice pudding people! It is so much more! It’s creamy yet light and just beautiful with a touch of citrus flavouring.



I had to ask for the recipe and as often happens, I was totally surprised how easy and simple it is to make. So here you go, see below. This dish is gaining popularity super quickly in my family; I reckon it will do the same in yours too.

And if you never cooked anything French, this perhaps a great way to start and realize it’s not actually rocket science. 

Julie’s Riz au lait

Ingredients:

100 gr pudding rice
1 liter of full fat milk 
80gr sugar
flavoring: citrus peel or orange blossom (you can find orange blossom as syrup in gourmet food stores) - I used half of an orange's and half of a lemon's peel

Method:

  1. Put all ingredients together in a sauce pan with the flavoring
  2. Bring it to the boil and then leave to simmer for about 20-30 min
  3. Stop whenever it looks creamy and sticks to the wooden spoon

Simple enough? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment