Saturday, January 19, 2013

Thyme - not your usual educational toy

I’m trying to be a bit more adventurous and easy going as a mommy every day. I would like my son to have a real carefree childhood full of fun and laughter. I know its sounds clichéd but I often find it challenging. Baby safety is an unquestionable priority however I feel all the safety warnings for choke hazards and must haves for safety in the house are quite overwhelming.

With this in mind, the other day I was chopping food for cooking and had a small branch of fresh thyme in my hand when Rián started reaching for it from his chair. My initial thoughts were: No No No! Too dangerous, he can swallow a piece of it and choke, so I pulled my hand away. Then, on second thoughts I put in my own mouth to see what could happen with it in a baby’s mouth and found that it was so fresh that the leaves were still very strong. It was hard to pull them off, so I decided he should be fine with it. I picked a handy size branch and gave it to him. 

His little not fully coordinated hands reached for it and when the smell hit his little nose he made a face I had never seen before. The smell was something totally unfamiliar for him and I suppose was very strong. Oh it was fun to watch!! :)


He lifted it to his mouth put it in, then quickly out and kind of licked it a bit. He kept looking at me for reaction, but I did nothing. I wanted him to figure out what’s next. Finally he decided himself not to eat it all. I don’t blame him. Fresh thyme isn’t something I would want to chew on either. He held it and studied it for a good while, shaked it like mad few times then licked it again before it landed on the floor so Cooper could have a go with it too.

I totally get his excitement and strong reaction. Thyme is a beautiful green colour, it’s soft to touch, strangely tickly in between his chubby fingers and has a strange smell. Just imagine if you held a massive bunch for the first time in your life! I want to feed his curiosity as much as I can because it is amazing to spend time with somebody to who everything’s is so brand new and exciting. 



No comments:

Post a Comment